Sunday, December 1, 2013

Exploration 9 - The Perfect Risotto

The Perfect Risotto - YouTube

Throughout the last three or four years of cooking, I have always heard that one of the most difficult things to do in the kitchen is risotto. Risotto is a creamy rice dish that is made very quickly and has a very small margin of error. While on YouTube, I went on a search to discover how different chefs put their own flare on risotto. In the one I watched, this particular chef was making Parmesan risotto and in it he describes the secret. He says that success with risotto lies with the quality of grain. He goes on to describe three types of rice, one of which he hates, Arborio rice (commonly used amongst chefs), and Carnaroli rice, which he uses. This grain is the most absorbent of the three and gives you more room for error. Even though this rice is superior to the others however, it will put a bigger dent in you pocketbook.

To make risotto you first start out by sweating an onion and some garlic in a medium saucepan with butter. While this is happening boil some chicken stock. Next, introduce your rice of choice and be sure not to burn it. (This is where 80% of people who attempt risotto mess up). Wait till it is translucent and then add a cup of chicken broth. Wait till it is absorbed and then add another. Remove pan from heat and add vegetable and meat of choice. In this chef’s case, he added two tablespoons of butter and a cup of Parmesan cheese.

I have not attempted to make risotto yet but I am eager to try. I would sure be thrilled to say I did it successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.