Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Last Exploration

The first quote or theme that shocked me while watching the film "Fresh" was when it stated how, "Americans fear inconvenience". I think that quote can be interpreted in many ways, but in regards to the main theme of the film, and the industrial food industry versus the system farmers use, I find it to be accurate and inspirational.
I think the quote is practical and makes perfect sense with the argument the film seemed to be making. The idea that the industrial food system is harvesting chickens and other livestock in harmful ways--simply for "convenience". Stated in the film specifically, the industry is attempting to be "faster, bigger, and cheaper". I also think the interviews and various primary resources used throughout the film were convincing evidence. Somethings, like pictures of the industrial system, and more disturbing images of animals, stuck out the most to me. I think most Americans, if they are not involved with the food industry, do not stop and think about what they consume on a day to day basis. Thinking back to the Michael Pollan essay in our textbook, from his book The Omnivore's Dilemma, it makes sense that what the industrial food system is doing is wrong.
The essay "The Idea of a Local Economy" coordinates with the film because, the concepts are similar in some ways. For example, in the introductory paragraph, the speaker speaks of the environmental problems we are having in our country and what we should do to change them, "we can't hope to solve these problems without an increase of public awareness and concern".
While watching the film Fresh, I think the message being projected to viewers was done so that the public eye is more aware of what is occurring in the food industry. I believe that the film addressed several other issues and proved their arguments, but the central goal was to make sure the public became aware of the circumstances.
Therefore, both the film Fresh and the essay, "The Idea of a Local Economy", touch base on the fact that the public should become aware and eventually act on the problems currently growing in our environment, society, and food system. 

1 comment:

  1. I also agree, I feel that most Americans don't even think about the things they are doing on a day to day basis and for this food movement to be successful this has to change

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.