The film was centered around the topic of our agricultural economy and mass production. As a large country we do not know exactly where our food comes from or what kind of chemicals are injected into it most of the time. Also, many of us do not look at the ingredients in packaged food. Throughout the documentary when they talked about the cattle or livestock having diseases and having to start fresh it struck me. It took me back to the time that mad cow disease was so popular and I remembered being so nervous to eat any form of meat. Overall I really enjoyed the video because I am in an agriculture major so the topics interested me. I always have wondered why do people produce food a certain way just to keep it fresh longer if it is more harmful for our bodies.
To avoid not knowing where our food comes from there are a couple things we could apply to our lives. Shop at locally owned non chain markets. In the essay they make a good point saying "Of course, everything needed locally cannot be produced locally". Although we can grow some of our own food such as potatoes, fruits, vegetables, even spices and seasonings. This way we would always know where the food is from. My family often visits the famous Cleveland West Side Market. You always know where your meat, dairy, vegetables, and fruits came from.
The film connected to the essay because the author was showing that many people in the world focus on one item and when that item runs out they have nothing to turn too. The idea of importing and exporting items came up in both the essay and documentary. The essay I thought was very political and one sided towards how they wanted the economy run when compared with the movie. I had my doubts while reading the essay rather than watching the movie because having one author it was more one sided and I did not believe in everything he had to say.
Wow! agriculture major. this must have really hit home to you. it must be exciting to see that there is something that can be done to make a difference. I hope you will make a big change because our future generation depend on this progression
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting how personal this topic must be for you considering your major. I definitely agree with you in that we should be aware of what is in the food we consume everyday. I have not even thought about taking action the way you have, or finding a grocery store that sells natural grown food products!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you were an agriculture major. This video must have really been interesting to you. I agree that we need to better educate ourselves about the food we eat because we have no idea how our food is made and sometimes that can be really bad for our health.
ReplyDelete