What struck me most about the film was just what they do to the farm fields and process the foods in general. There is so much more that goes in to processing foods that I did not know about and that makes me question what is in what im eating. This is most convincing where you watch the scence the airplanes spray the fields and explain how they feed dead cows to cows, it makes me wonder whats in those chemicals they spray on the fields and if that's healthy for the cows. Feeding a dead cow to another cow just doesn't seem right, you wouldn't feed a dead human to a human would you?
The essay and the film are very similar to one another and I found it interesting how they both talked about corporations becoming bad for farming. I believe it takes out business from local farms or any farms who do the farming their own way, not the corporations. Berry in his essay says we need to use a neighboring system, like in a neighborhood, each family has some way of contributing, and we need to make a big neighborhood. I think Berry's idea of protection of raw materials is how things should be. We treat our raw materials like they are unlimited and someone else will take care of them.
I agree that the whole process of producing these goods is a lot more task oriented than we give them credit for. I hate the part where they said they feed a dead cow to another cow, that to me is like feeding a dead human to another.
ReplyDeleteI agree theirs a commitment need to overcome to improve the contribute idea and discuss how family farmers could get together. It's really a great idea to bring all family and discuss how they can convince their consumers.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a good idea to create and use a neighboring system. If everyone contributes it will make things a lot easier. And I'm not sure it's right to feed cows other dead cows, that seems very wrong and is it healthy?
ReplyDeleteI thought it was terrible to feed a cow another dead cow simply to help it grow. Those animals are herbivores by nature and feeding them meat is wrong on so many levels. They aren't meant to eat meat so that makes them sick, as does the cannibalism. I wouldn't want to unknowingly eat a human, even if it did make me grow faster (although, growing would be nice…)
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sick to think of a cow eating a dead cow. I don't know how that does not bother the farmer who is feeding it to the living cows. It is disgusting and it is not natural. Whenever I picture a cow i picture them eating crops not meat. The food industry blows my mind.
ReplyDeleteBerry has a point with the neighborhood sense because it becomes a smaller web economy. each purchase has a direct reaction to stimulate a local economy and it catalysts good business. on the other hand, large supermarkets are outsourcing their imports which drive stimulation away from they are located
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you in that many more people should be aware of what they are consuming on a day to day basis. I found it criminal and disturbing to hear about the farmers feeding cows dead cows. I do not think that what the industrial food chain is doing to be justifiable. I also think you make a valid point that we should be more appreciative of our resources and raw materials and stop taking them for granted.
ReplyDelete