Kyle Dezse
Extra Credit
12-3-13
The Calm Before the
Storm
It starts out normal. Like any
other moment. Until the storm comes
Like a stampede of bulls, I can see
it rush towards me, but around me, now, it is the calm.
The calm before the storm is the
worst thing imaginable. You can see the horrific mass escalating in size and
ready to devoir everything in its path, but you still can’t do anything about
it.
I am trying to suck in every last
good feeling in the air, but find myself swiping at the empty space in front of
me.
It is close now and I can smell
thunder amongst the clouds.
The clean but terrifying smell of
the electrical charge that is about to strike my nervous system and contract
every muscle in my frail body.
The darkness of the clouds looks
down on me with its pitch black pupils.
They pierce my soul like knives and
absorb the remaining ounces of hope.
I had hope
for security. I had hope for safety
from the storm.
Silence takes me now as it enters
my mouth. As I salivate profusely, I cannot help but notice the taste of metal.
I have coins in my mouth and the
taste on my tongue is unbearable.
I feel cold and sterile.
I am exposed, like
an open nerve. Like a carcass lying on a table in an operating room.
I am a naked
human, unable to react and helpless to the onslaught to come.
I am an immune
system with no antibodies and the deadliest bacteria is about to enter my
bloodstream.
The storm hits
After the storm subsides I am not
able to function, for my skull is splitting in two like a fault line in the
earth crust.
A constant, and massive drum, pounds violently
to the beat of my heart.
I can hear it inside, deep within me.
I am taking my palms and pressing them to my
ears, as if trying to drown out all other distraction.
I thrust my fingernails into the back of my
head.
Doing anything to make this pain go
away, I desperately try to peel the skin from the back of my cranium.
I go into more silence.
Blank and in darkness, I lay alone
with my thoughts of nothing.
The storm is what I feel. The storm
is my seizure.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.