"But it's not a game. It's a form. Right here, now, as I invent myself, I'm thinking of all I want to tell you about why this book is written as it is." Good Form is only a 2 page chapter, but I think that it could take up the whole book. He talks about how he was a soldier and that's the truth, but almost everything else in this book is the product of his imagination. This chapter really meant a lot to me because it made me think of the effects that war has on people. The guilt, the shame, and the pride are all things that come along as baggage during war. He talks about how even though he didn't pull the trigger to kill the man on the trail near My Khe. His presence was guilt enough, he felt responsible for what had happened to the young man and he couldn't help but constantly blame himself. This whole chapter really just spoke to me about the consequences of war on the human soul. That humans just aren't meant to be in this business. That war is not a pretty or beautiful thing; even if your the side winning. It's not right for us to be killing each other.
The character in this book I could most relate to would be Kiowa. Kiowa was a very compassionate man; he cared about the people around him. When everyone around him was hurting; Kiowa was hurting for them and it was really inspiring to see someone who cared so much about those around him. Kiowa was also a very devout Christian. During the hard times of war he leaned on his faith and always had his bible with him. I would be like that, I don't think that I would be able to wrap my head around why things in war happen. I would have to lean on the knowledge and wisdom that the Bible provides just like Kiowa did. Additionally Kiowa was not ashamed of who he was. He was an American Indian and he was proud of it. I am proud of my upbringing and my origins too. I'm proud to say that I'm an Evans and nobody around me is going to phase me on that.
Tim O'Brien was similar to Nick Chirls' dad from Rebirth in the way that they both had the opportunity to run, but neither of them did. O'Brien was in a boat and he could see the coast of Canada, and leaving would get him out of the war he wouldn't have to fight anyone or put his life at risk. But he chose the harder of his two options and stayed and was drafted and had to go to Vietnam and fight. Nick Chirls' dad grieved in a way that made Nick an outcast. But eventually Chirls' dad made the hard decision to go back to Nick and apologize for the way that he handled his wife's death. It's hard to say that your wrong, and I believe that it's even harder to do it to family members when you wronged them. The difference between the two of the though is that they made their decisions for different reasons. O'Brien chose to not go to Canada because he cared about what the people around him would think. And we don't really know why Chirls' dad decided to make up with his son, but one would assume that it has to do with him realizing that he made a mistake and wants to rectify that mistake.
I think I relate most to Kiowa for the same reasons you mentioned! I definitely would have relied closely on my faith and may have even carried my Bible around, too. I also overlooked the fact that Kiowa was never ashamed of who he was while reading, I would agree with that as well.
ReplyDelete