Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Syria - Ellie

2011 in Deraa, Syria fifteen school children were arrested for writing anti-government graffiti on walls. Soon after, peaceful protests started which ended up in the government opening fire on them. The next day when mourners went to the protester's funeral, they were then killed as well. This stirred up a lot of Syrians and soon protests started across the country. Syria's people wanted their president, Assad to resign and he refused. In September of 2013, there was confirmed news of chemical weapons being used although no confirmation of who was responsible. Other countries have talked about if they should get involved and how. Britain and France have argued over the favor of sending weapons to the rebels, still not sure if that's a good idea. This leaves the United States with a decision. To get involved or not?

No. I believe getting involved in this war would be a big mistake. Not only is it not our fight to get involved in but we have lots of things on our plate right now. The United States should learn from the past when we got involved with Iraq. This is a war that has to be fought without us, we can't always be the super hero. If France and Britain aren't really supporting the idea of getting involved why should we? This is a big decision, I just hope we make the right one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/16979186


7 comments:

  1. This event speaks to the problems that Syria is facing. I mean killing people who attended the protestors funerals...That is crazy. I agree with you that we should just stay out of this war. I like when you said "we cant always be the super hero". we need to start wisely choosing our battles because we have already lost so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with your decision that we shouldnt get involved in the war. We just got out of a long war in iraq and its time we step back and take some time for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we shouldn't get involved, it's a civil war, a country fighting itself. Although it's bad for them to use chemical weapons, it shouldn't be our war. Many more people would just die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you in that we should not get involved in the war in Syria. Also, it's probably hard for us to believe that young school children could be arrested and how protestors receive such harsh punishment. Part of me really wants to see that kind of gruesome action end, but getting involved with this war makes me hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you kill innocent people? I cant imagine at all!!! We shouldnt be a part of this war. Its not our place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting involved in something we don't need to is completely ridiculous.I definitely agree that there needs as little U.S. involvement as possible. Either way you look at it, the U.S. needs to back off by not sending either side supplies and by retracting the idea of possible conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same opinions on Syria. I also wrote about this topic. The United States needs to take a step back and stay out of other countries problems. The fact that chemical weapons are being used.. why would we want to be involved?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.