Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Veterans Break Down Barriers in Wheelchairs

When I was doing research about veterans' stories I came across an article from about a week ago that had to do with the government shutdown. When the shutdown began last Monday all national parks and memorials were closed down. On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 many World War II veterans traveled to the closed World War II memorial in Washington DC. Upon arrival to the memorial (many of them in wheelchairs) the veterans were led by a bagpipe player into the memorial as they broke down the barriers keeping them out. A spokeswoman for the memorial said that they were important visitors to the memorial and security was no longer turning people away on arrival so that is why they were allowed entry.
I thought this article was very interesting because these were men who fought hard for our country in WWII and they were denied admittance until they broke down the barriers. I think it is incredible how brave these veterans are. Nothing can keep them back, these men stormed Normandy, fought the Nazis and trudged through Russia unprepared in the middle of winter and it is obvious that nothing will keep them back. I think they have a lot of spunk and moxie for breaking into a national memorial that was closed by the government. I think if they were not veterans the government would have done something about the "break in" but these men deserved it. However, breaking and entering is illegal and morally wrong but the government is shutdown so I guess they can get a pass this time.
I think this can apply to our lives because I think bravery is something we should all strive to have and courage be something we show and that is what these men embody. Nothing will stop them from being proud American veterans.


WWII Vets Break Down Barriers



5 comments:

  1. I didn't know this happened but it's pretty inspiring to see that the Veterans just do what they want. They really have a 'don't care' attitude and they rightfully should because they went through hell and back. It bothers me that the parks and memorials were shut down in the first place. I'd be beyond mad about this if I were a Veteran because they deserve more respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally love the World War II memorial in D.C, I love how it was designed and the last time I was there it truly had an affect on me. It is inspiring to know that the veterans would do anything to enter the memorial to pay tribute to their past. I can only hope that soon all National Parks and Monuments can be accessible to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this story. I think it is cool to see the resolve of our veterans. If they did not do this then they would not be United States veterans. It is a shame that something like a government shutdown would try to stop veterans from seeing the WWII memorial. Seems kind of ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those men fought in World War II and being denied their own memorial, I think it's awful. They were brave then and are still brave now for breaking down the barriers. It's not fair at all that the memorials are shut down because of the government shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that the government tried to keep these people from entering the monument to me is sickening. i feel embarrassed to live in a country that would do such a thing to the men that fought to keep this country free. its not only saddening but embarrassing. good for them for breaking the barriers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.