Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ben's 9/11 Blog Post: Michael D'Auria

Michael D'Auria consumed himself in aspiring to become a firefighter. This was his ultimate passion, but before completing his necessary exam, he went to culinary school. Michael attained a masterful level of cooking skill while he attended the New York restaurant school, located in Manhattan. Once he graduated in 1994, Michael worked throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan for five years, before finally settling in Staten Island, New York. Though he continued to pursue his original dream of becoming a firefighter by passing both the physical and written firefighter exams without missing a point. His family was truly thrilled that he was carrying on the family tradition of firefighting. And not only were they excited, but his station as well became accustomed to the young man because of unbelievable cooking skills. A fellow firefighter mentioned that, "When  we saw Mikes name on the board, we knew we were going to eat good that night." At that time, Michael began to paint as well. He had compiled small collection, one of which he gave to his sister for her birthday. Michael was ambitious and pursued what he wanted, but consistently gave so much to others. Michael conveyed to his sister only weeks before the attack that, " When I die its going to be in a big way...its going to change the world." Neither Michael or any other members of his company returned from the crumbling world trade center. Michael followed his purpose in life, and certainly became a hero by doing so.

I thought that it was incredible how much dedication he put into every aspect of life.Whether it be his culinary skills or his love of firefighting, Michael D'Auria truly followed his passions and followed them with complete and total effort. He is, without a doubt, inspiring. His ambitions and desires are what gave him this unbelievable drive to follow what he wanted out of life. By following in the steps of this fallen hero, I, as well as others, could learn an insurmountable amount about how to follow passions and dreams, and understand that life is meant to be lived in how you want to live it. 


[Michael D'Auria]

  

6 comments:

  1. Ben that was a very moving post. It really brought Michael to life for me. I find it very weird that Michael said that "when he dies its going to be in big way". That is very spooky that in some way he foreshadowed his own death. I truly agree that Michael was a true hero in every aspect of his life and for dieing to save others before himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Michael became a hero on 9/11. I love the fact that he carried on his family tradition by being a firefighter. That is a vigorous job to do and you have to be very brave to put your life on the line everyday. I love the fact that he could cook too! He seemed like a great guy and its sad that he left behind family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly i agree michael was a hero also support his family and enjoy his sister birthday being cooked a food for the party. I understand Avery one has inspirit michael follow his ambition being a firefighter try to rescue others involve the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael is definitely considered a hero! Wow thats crazy that he told his sister only a short time before that when he died it would be doing something big. You can't get much bigger than saving lives from a terrorist attack. I could not imagine having a job like that and applaud all those who are fire fighters and are willing to risk their lives so often to save another person's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is another very brave individual who became a firefighter to help save other peoples lives, this takes a lot of bravery out of a man. Men like this individual make you want to do the same thing they are doing and become a better individual yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had researched another firefighter named Michael, it is sad to know how both firefighters had so much dedication they put in their dreams. But it's good to know how much the firefighters of New York had a passion for what they do, risking their own lives for others.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.