Composition in the modern world at The Ohio State University.
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Zach Padovan-Todd Beamer
September 11th 2001, a date that will forever be in the minds of every American. A date in witch every American can remember exactly what he or she was doing at the exact time that two planes crashed into the twin towers, one into the pentagon, and one into a field in Somerset County.I remembered wondering why three planes had crashed into important United States buildings and one into a field just 15 miles outside of Pittsburgh. I decided to do some research on why this particular plane didn't also crash into a building and what i found was extraordinary. United flight 93 was a hijacked plane on that day and was surly headed for another important American building, however this flight never reached its intended target which some have said may be the Capitol building or white house in Washington DC. once the plane was taken over by the terrorists a man named Todd Beamer and 39 other brave souls on United flight 93 planned to take a stand and retake the plane. Todd Beamer was the mastermind behind this takeover. after talking on the phone with a GTE supervisor telling her they were going to try and retake the plane the line was still on and the supervisor could hear him say to all of the brave passengers that would help to take the plane back or die trying "Are you guys ready? lets roll!" from there the passengers jumped into action and tried to take the plane back. In the struggle control of the plane was lost and the plane crashed into a field in Somerset County. Everyone on board were tragically killed. Todd Beamer was on the phone with this supervisor for close to 13 minuets giving her all kinds of information and when the supervisor had told him that there were 3 other planes that had been hijacked and crashed Todd replied they would not be pawns in the terrorists suicidal plot. I encourage everyone to go and read about Todd and United flight 93. This man is a hero and one of the bravest Americans i have ever had the pleasure to read about. I guess what came as the biggest surprise to me while i was learning about Todd was the amount of courage it took to try and retake the plane so that they wouldn't become a part of the hijackers suicidal plans. It really took me back how brave Todd and all of the passengers on United flight 93 were.The thing i think i can take away most from this mans story is that in the face of the most tragic adversity never lose yourself and what matters to you. What everyone can learn from Todd is that even when your life is on the line you can fight for it you can always fight back for what is right and what should be done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with the fact that he was a hero and that he portrayed bravery when he tried to retake the plane. Not many people can say that if they were put in his situation they would fight the terrorists in spite of their country. I also envy his love for his country. He saved many important buildings like you said, the capitol and or the white house, from being destroyed. His picture is also cool because it seems like he liked the Buckeyes. Very cool guy to read about!
ReplyDeleteSo I took your advice and looked him up and WOW! It was really cool to read about his courage on the airplane and how he refused to just sit and await his fate, but instead he took action and saved thousands of lives. I'm still confused on why he's wearing an Ohio State hat, according to what I found online he never went to school here or ever lived here.
ReplyDeleteI find all 9/11 stories super inspirational but this one more than a lot. I wish i could say I would be as brave as Todd if I was in that situation but I honestly don't know how I would react. By reading this story you can tell that Todd must have had a strong love for our country and had the lives of others in mind. How cool that he was a buckeye fan too! He is definitely someone who's bravery will be remembered forever.
ReplyDeleteI definitely don't think I would have been as brave as Todd was that day. It is incredible what he did to save other areas in our country from being attacked. He had so much courage doing whatever he could to try and save others, I am inspired by this story.
ReplyDelete