Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Exploration Three: Education

I learn best in groups because I believe social interaction with others is more effective than doing something by yourself. In high school, I was involved in an alternative program called "Community School" which I realize sounds very hipster. Some people think it was the "easy way out" but in reality, it was just an efficient way for me to learn because I was able to work together with my peers who I became very close to.

I think it's important to get an education because it allows people to learn something that they may not have been able to otherwise. Although, I think if we broke down the beneficial versus non-beneficial stuff we learn in schools it would be something like 90% memorization that is forgotten the next day and 10% useful lifelong information. Most of that 10% probably applies to social situations. This is all just my viewpoint and I'm probably wrong.


Today, society has made it so everyone has to go to college and get a solid degree in order to get a job and ultimately succeed in life. At least that's what everyone is raised to think. I think this is unfortunate because school is not for everyone. I think it's important to educate yourself but that's very different from spending tens of thousands of dollars on a college education that does not guarantee anything. I remember when I was applying for colleges, my mentality was that I "had to do it" and I would just figure it out eventually. It's unfortunate but I think this is probably the mentality for a lot of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.