Composition in the modern world at The Ohio State University.
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Exploration 3: Emma Hardesty
Throughout my life time I have always looked at education as a requirement. Even though high school was rough and challenged me immensely, I knew I could never, and would never, give up. I remember asking my dad, a high school math teacher at Dublin Scioto, while struggling with Pre-Calculus, "What's the point of learning all of this? Am I ever gonna use it in life?" His reply was simple and straight forward, "To make you smarter than the other guy." And since then, my ideas of a full education are stronger and clearer in my eyes. I know that I need an education to have the hopes of leading the life I want to live.
I learn best visually. However; I also think I can learn with hands on experiences. In my senior year of high school I decided to challenge myself by taking multiple AP classes. I took AP Art History, simply because I love art and I am usually fascinated with History. I knew the class would require an abundance of reading and studying, but to prepare me for college I thought it would be a good fit. The students who previously took the course struggled; only three students passed the exam! When we finally got around to taking the exam I went into it knowing I had learned a ton about art history, but most likely, only a few in my class would do well. Needless to say, I was shocked when I learned that I passed with a qualifying score--along with several of my peers in the class! I knew in that moment that I had truly mastered something and felt really accomplished.
The purpose of getting an education is to gain knowledge about others, yourself, and the world around you. Education and learning new, sometimes challenging, things can make you more intelligent but also build your character as a person. Education now a days proves that it is important to work with others, and from others you learn about yourself and your own work. Without the public education that I've experienced I would be a completely different person.
I am optimistic about my future, but also anxious. I've never been sure of what path I want to take, but I have had different ideas and dreams all my life. Education means success for my future. Education means hopefully living comfortably in the middle to later years of my life. I'm optimistic because I believe in myself and my abilities, but I'm still always worried and anxious. I can't know what lies ahead just yet, but I'm hopeful it will be exciting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.