Monday, September 23, 2013

Exploration Five - Macy

While watching the documentary "Rebirth" the story that truly touched me most was Nick Chirls. I think his story touched me most because I could not imagine loosing my mom. His stories also showed a lot of courage and strength which is something I admired. Having the documentary be over a span of time showed a lot about how the characters had progressed over the years and dealt with their grief. This was a huge part in my opinion on why the documentary was so powerful.

There were a couple things that Nick specifically talked about that stuck out to me. First, when he spoke at his mother's funeral and the first time he said mother the bird landed on his head. That was touching because you knew that was a sign she was with him. I am a pretty religious person so I believed this meant something. Next, when Nick talked about his relationship with his father right after the attack it broke my heart. The fact that his dad got remarried so quick and hardly supported his children leaving them to grieve on their own was sad. I was glad at the end when they talked it out and could rekindle their relationship after all those years. Lastly, when Nick thought he wanted to have the same job as his mother but later realized that just because he wanted to be like her didn't mean that he would be or even love the job he was doing. I thought it was neat how he could come to terms with everything and see that just because he lost her physically didn't mean he lost the memories. He stated at the end of the documentary "I would not be where I am today without the whole process". Meaning he didn't want to have to go through everything but because he did he was a stronger person.

Like I mentioned before, I believe the eight year period was a successful option. It should you how the people came to terms over the years about what had occurred. It also showed how hard it is to let go of the grief. You have to mourn and have your time before you can not let it control who you are. The main thing I took away from this is that death does not cause loss of memories just because it's a physical loss.

3 comments:

  1. When Nick told the story about the bird at his mother's funeral I got the chills! It really meant something. I agree, I thought his dad remarried way to early but as the years progress they finally found a way back to each other and that's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was unfortunate for Nick to see his dad move on to another marriage so quickly. I couldn't imagine myself moving on as quickly but I guess some people just take less time to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the funeral scene came on during the documentary I had no idea what we were about to see, but when that bird landed on his head I was just sitting there dumbfounded with what just happened. The fact that he just took it off of his head and it sat there in his hand was just insane. You really just can't explain how things like that happen.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.