I really enjoyed listening to everyone's story because of how different they all were but the one that stood out the most to me was Nick Chirls who lost his mother on September 11th, 2001. His mother worked in the first building that fell and when Nick heard the news she had died he went swimming as he said "just to do something". That to me stood out because I might have handled that news in a different way but he just went swimming. I have never had to experience something this tragic but his story really inspired me. I can't imagine being young and having to deal with losing your mother. Nick to me really handled his mothers lose in a mature way. Of course there was a time where he was grieving, a time when he was angry, and a time where he knew he had to move on. Nick had to not only deal with losing his mother but he had to watch his little brother and sister suffer and grieve. He listened to his little brother and sister calling for mommy. I can't imagine how hard that was for him to deal with. I would have never been able to comfort myself and my siblings after losing someone who meant the world to me. The part of Nicks story that really caught my eye was when he was saying his memorial speech at his mothers funeral. During the speech right when he said that word mother, a bird landed on his head. He said this was "recongition that his mom was there that day". The bird landing on his head at the time that he said mother is such an inspiring and memorable moment. He said "it was a moment he would never forget". Watching this speech and seeing the bird land on him at that specific moment really gave me chills and its something I also will never forget.
I believe the time-lapse of seeing each of the characters over the 8 years was a strength. You do not see this much in documentaries and I think this is one reason why it was such a strength. Also because it really helped to show you each of the ways that each person was healing. Not everyone felt the same at each year marker. Just like throughout all 8 years Ling Young was getting a different surgery and dealing with her scars healing. I really enjoyed seeing the time-lapse over 8 years and everyone grieved for years but in the end everyone "moved on" and there lives werent over.
The most important thing that I took away from these stories was that yes, in a lifetime you will experience tradegy and loss, but there are ways to deal with it and move on. Just because you go through something hard in life doesnt mean you have to stop living. These stories really inspired me and gave me a different outlook on not just tradegy but all that was faced on 9/11 and years after.
i agree with you kelsey. i also though that Nicks's Story had the biggest effect on me. it was truley amazing that the bird not only landed on his head when he was giving his speech but that it let him pick it up as well.
ReplyDelete