Monday, September 23, 2013

Chad Boak's Exploration Five: Rebirth


The story that stuck out the most to me after watching the film “Rebirth” was Nick Chirls. I really was touched by the loss that he had to go through. When he talks about his mother and the things they did as a family really humanized her for me. I felt as if I knew her. When Nick took the same job that his mother had showed me just how much he missed her. During the funeral service when the bird flew onto his head and let him pick it up really touched me and also hit home for me. When my grandpa died a year ago at his home a Blue Jay (my grandpas’ favorite bird) sat of a tree branch the entire time until he was removed from his home. When Nick talks about how his father never really allowed him to grieve over his mother made me upset to hear. And then how Nick had to move out of his house. I respected Nick and how he handled losing his mother and living alone through it. But in the end when he and his father rekindled their relationship was very moving.

I think the time-lapse was a strong point of the film. It gave people a chance to live their life over a period and to see how things changed. You were able to see them and their reactions and emotions when the wounds and feeling were fresh. And then you were able to see them 8 years later and how they had moved on in life and continued living but also how they still are dealing with emotions and pains from the tragic day of 9/11.

The most important thing that I took away from this film was live everyday like it’s your last. It showed me how many people lost their lives on 9/11 that were young and had a long life ahead of them. So what I took away was don’t hold grudges and say I love you to the people you care about because you may never get that chance again.


5 comments:

  1. i agree Chad Nick's story also was the one that had the biggest impact on me the part of his story that struck me as the ost amazing was when the sparrow landed on hi head the first time he said "mother" in his speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could sympathize with him. I lost my dad and I had to grieve on my own too. While I was at my dads funeral all I had to do was look into the eyes of my grandma and I knew he was there with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you said the time lapse gave us the ability to see them 8 years after and how they cope with their emotions. We get to see how they moved on but still grieve everyday but are still able to see some happiness at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Nicks story as well. I think that it was so powerful the way that the time-lapse effect empowered his feelings and allowed the audience to see how he grew mentally. It was very impactful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I may have chosen Ling Young's experience as the one that impacted me the most, the hardships that Nick Chirls had to face growing up were unbelievably moving. He truly pushed forward with his life, while still being able to have memory of his mother. I also thought that the time-lapse strengthened the film insurmountably. Being able to see them progress and grow from their loss was quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.