Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Remembering Nathaniel Webb

"In the garden was an apple tree, and they were forbidden to eat of the fruit of that tree.

Nathaniel Webb and his cousins picked his grandfather's still-green apples anyway.

When the old man saw that the apples were missing he demanded to know who had disobeyed him. "We didn't tell the truth," said Delores Matthews, Mr. Webb's cousin. "But when he was cornered, Nathaniel always got teary-eyed and told the truth. Then we all got punished, but he never did." - Legacy.com 


From that point on, Nathaniel Webb was always on Authority's side. For 28 years, Nathaniel was a Port Authority officer of New York and New Jersey. People who knew him said he was always keeping others on the right track. At the time of the 9/11 tragedy, Nathaniel was located in the World Trade Center. He died that day at the age of 56, we will never forget Nathaniel Webb.




What really means the most to me is that he risked his life to help others and was always trying to steer people on the right track. As a little boy even, Nathaniel always knew what side he wanted to be on, authority. He reminds me of myself a little bit. I was always the kid that told the truth one way or the other because I simply couldn't handle the guilt and I knew it was the right thing to do. I also like to help others out and give them advice when they need it, similar to Nathaniel. From 9/11 in general I've learned to be thankful for everything and every day. No one ever knows when it's their time that's why it's important to step back and cherish the moments we have. 

2 comments:

  1. Its really inspiring that Nathaniel was on the authority side. He truly was a hero not only that day but his whole. life. I find myself a little like Nathaniel also. i find myself always trying to do the right thing and avoiding lying to others. I agree with you on taking a step back and cherishing the moments in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was amazing of how he was as a person because we need these people in our lives. Along our path of life, we have a decision to make and these people help bring out the better side of people. I like how he was always a good person no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.