Monday, September 23, 2013

Exploration Five - Kyle Dezse

The story that impacted me the most would probably be Brian Lyon’s. In my opinion, he had one of the hardest times coping with the attack and the death of his brother who was a firefighter. One of the more interesting things about his story is that of his involvement with ground zero. Starting on September 12, 2001, he was a part of the search & rescue effort, and managing construction of Freedom Tower. It is important to hear from different points of view and I believe Lyons adds diversity to the rest of the interviewees. Brian said something in 2005, while looking down from the half constructed tower, “the bottom of the pit is a spiritual place.” This was unexpected to me because I would think that the pit at ground zero would be linked to pain, suffering, and death. However, it seems to Brian that it is the exact opposite.

The effect of the time-lapse was to show how each person changed, mentally and physically, through time. It showed progress as well as setbacks. I also believe it was a way for some of them to cope. Many of them expressed themselves in the segments and revealed things to themselves that they normally would not unveil. I definitely feel that this was a strength and a very valuable technique to the production. It was especially helpful in telling Brian Lyons story in fact. In the first year they showed him describing how his brother’s hallagan was found and in that instant it started to snow. This was something was became a symbol to Brian. Then in 2003 he showed progress in coping, “in the recovery you are tearing things down. Now we are building things in Phase One. Looking up from here.” Later in 2005, Brian took a turn for the worst and was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. However, in 2007 he had his last therapy session and is off medication. This production allowed Brian Lyons’ entire story to be told.

The simple, most important thing I got out of this documentary is that everyone is different. Each person lost someone different, in a different way, and coped differently. I learned that time heals people’s wounds at different rates and in healthy and unhealthy ways.

4 comments:

  1. I thought Brian also had one of the hardest situations to deal with. I could not imagine loosing my brother. I found it very symbolic when he found his brother's hallagan. How amazing that in all the rubble of ground zero he was able to find the hallagan that he knew was his brother's. That is really special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian no doubt faced a very diffcult situation in losing a sibling, i couldnt imagine what that would feel like because i dont have any siblings but im sure it would be one of the most difficult things to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that Brian's story was emotional and intense. I can't imagine losing one of my sisters like he lost his brother. Through his story the audience could tell how close Brian was with his brother. It was uplifting, however, when he spoke about ground zero being a spiritual place, it gave me a sense of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we don't look at the people who rebuilt from ground zero. Alot of them had some connection to the devastation. In the movie he mentioned the people who complained about the job and how they had no clue he lost someone too.
    It would be hard for me to be so close to where it happened and even discovering part of his brother. Really inspirational.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.