Thursday, September 5, 2013

Education - Macy Nauman

Growing up my idea of education has constantly been changing. I attended a catholic private school from kindergarten until senior year of high school. From about sixth to eighth grade I absolutely hated going to school mainly because i dreaded the teachers and the struggle it took for me to learn. In second grade when most kids are learning to read my parents noticed I did not read the same as my other three siblings. I read words that were not on the page or mixed words up for another word that was similar. It continued to get worse as my classes became harder over the years. I never wanted to admit I had a problem learning so i spent extra hours studying just to get straight a's. Schoolwork began to take over my life.

It wasn't until  my junior year in high school that I decided getting tested would probably be the best idea. I learned that I am dyslexic, have a light sensitivity issue, and also a auditory memory processing issue. Over the years I had found so many different ways to cope with my problems that it was hard for them to find anything wrong with me during testing. This helped me to learn that I should value my education because of how much time I spent studying. I learn best when I am alone with no distractions.

I also began to value my education more when I realized how much money my parents were spending to send me to an all girls high school. I was getting such a high education that prepared me for college more than I expected. That school made me realize a lot about the outside world. We worked with a lot of impoverished students who could care less about education. The little boy I specifically tutored wanted nothing to do with school at the beginning of our three years. By the end he was more focused and willing to complete things than take an F on every assignment.

My volunteering over the past seven years training guide dogs taught me my passion in life. I now know from that experience what I want to do with my future. Although school is not the easiest thing for me I am willing to put in the extra effort and succeed to achieve my future goal.

4 comments:

  1. Macy, I admire everything you have gone through. I can not begin to imagine how involved in your daily life it must be. My epilepsy is something that also has changed my life but not on your level. I can suppress my disorder with something as simple as a pill and I do not have to think much of it. You had to adapt to new ways of thinking and learning and it is truly admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macy, wow I cant even imagine how hard youve had to work to get where you are today! i have worked with kids that have been diyslexic through my moms job because she works with students with learning and educational disablities. It was hard for them to process information and remember it at the same time. Keep working hard and I also think your passion for training guard dogs is so insiprational. I also hope to help and work with animals for my career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macy, I think it's amazing on how you deal with your dyslexia and how you have changed your thought process. I also like how you have changed the little boy's mind about education. For myself, going through depression, I had not valued school at all, but going through my first year of college now, I'm more focused than I was ever was in high school and it helps me hopefully achieve the career that I will love after college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Macy! Keep pushing through the struggles, it get's easier! I know that feeling of having passion for something and it is a great feeling. It's amazing how you tutored kids and train guide dogs, you're very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.