Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Planetary Emergency (2007)

      Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 for his speech titled "A Planetary Emergency". The major theme of this essay was to bring to our attention the affects of global warming pollution. He starts off his essay telling the reader they have two future visions and we have to decide which one we want to happen. We have the ability to solve the crisis if we act quickly. He continues on to tell us how each day more and more global warming pollution is dumped on our Earth. This is causing the Earth to have a 'fever' and us the humans of the world are the ones causing the problem. Our carelessness is causing massive droughts, melting arctic areas, wildfires, and home evacuations all around the world. Gore throws in statistics to his essay stating "Last September 21, as the Northern Hemisphere tilted away from the sun, scientists reported with unprecedented distress that  the North Polar ice cap is "falling off a cliff."  One Study estimated that it could be completely gone during summer in less than 22 years." These world issues are only going to increase if we do not do anything about it.
       Gore adds in a quote from Robert Frost that states "Some say the world will end in fire, others in ice, either one would suffice". He talks about how he does not want this to be our future and it does not have to be if we act quickly to reduce the global warming. Gore brings up a good point stating that the United States and China and soon India are the main factors for the excessive amount of CO2 emissions. It is these countries that needed to make the biggest changes. When talking about China and the United states Gore states "Both countries should stop using the other's behavior as an excuse for stalemate and instead develop an agenda for mutual survival in shared global environment.." He ends his essay explaining that we have to expand whatever boundaries we have left and create our own new path to follow.
        I felt like this essay impacted me greatly after reading it. I never really believed in global warming but mainly because I have never been well informed of it. It is true that a lot of catastrophes have been occurring I believe that if they are truly being caused by global warming we need to make as many changes possible to stop them from happening. None of us want to see anyone hurt physically or emotionally from it. We also don't want to have our world end in extreme cold or hot conditions.
        I believe that Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize because of the power of his speech. He brought up a lot of points and he was one of the first people to be concerned and want to change our climate. Also since he had a government position this gave him credibility. Gore is a huge advocate for global warming and overall deserved to win the Nobel Peace Prize.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Gore deserved the prize. He really wanted to make everyone aware about their individual impact on the environment. He wants people to realize that we affect the environment and it is our duty to protect it for generations to come. He just wants everyone to realize that their actions matter and they should be cautious and treat the planet with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had also read this article, I thought it was interesting. I agree that The United States and China should stop ignoring the situation and stalemate with each other and could make a solid plan to help less the population some what. I know for me, I don't want those extreme hot and cold conditions because in Ohio, we have both really hot summers and really cold winters. I think he deserved the Nobel Peace Prize award because I think he did a good job informing some people about global warming.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.