"Entire Communities also come to understand that while it is necessary to hold their government accountable, it is equally important that in their own relationships with each other, they exemplify the leadership they wish to see in their own leaders, namely justice, integrity, and trust."
This quote caught my attention because she is making a statement, but not only is she correct in her statement, she does not just speak, she shows action behind her statement which shows you the kind of character she has.
Wangari Maathia truly is an inspired individual who wants to do what she can to give back to the community. I think she won her Nobel Prize because of how inspired and driven she was to help, because we don't see a lot of people like her today. "In the course of history, there comes a time when humanity is called to shift a new level of consciousness, to reach a higher moral ground. A time time when we have to shed our fear and give hope to each other. That time is now". She found that planting trees would help give families shelter, fuel and the necessary needs to get by. It was a very simple method that wouldnt take too long and could be effective and also gave employment to help people. When she was in Kenya, Over 30 million trees were planted which led to her serving in more countries such as Ethiopia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and others.

I really like this topic. The idea of helping those less fortunate survive with essential items really inspires me. I believe you are correct in the idea that she won the prize because she was driven to accomplish her goal to help those people. After reading about this amazing person i want to help those less fortunate around me.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your response.. I wish this would have been the essay i chose to read. My high school is all about giving back and helping others. Her story reminds me of of Lenten Project. We reached out to those who were in need from things such as school supplies for the inner city children, to basic necessities for the domestic violence center, all the way to sending money to those hurt from natural disasters. You do not realize how easy it is to help someone and its sad that so many people just forget about it. She has a powerful goal in life and I wish not only others but myself could be more like her.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a touching topic, I like that we have some people out in the world who spends their lives helping others, especially the less fortunate. Although I don't think I could ever spend my life doing that much, I use to be in interact club in my high school where from time to time, we helped other people. From time to time, I like to donate some money to help out some organizations.
ReplyDeleteI liked this story it's really amazing , she did a great job by helping people with the food and how the can survie. Its really nice to help to donate to other i always like to help to do fun rising for the mousq . during my high school year we always use to do fun rising for the who dont have food shelter , i was in a team call chaseleadership we always use to do organzation with the community. so i think she did a right thing.
ReplyDelete