The advertisement I chose is from a women's magazine and the product being sold is O.P.I.'s gel color which is a salon brand nail polish. This nail polish is successfully sold to it's audience through a range of persuasive appeals.
One element that adds to the overall persuasion of the ad is the use of slogans/ facts. On the article there is a small paragraph explaining the women in the picture. The paragraph says " 3-Time Beach Volleyball Olympic Gold Medalist Misty May-Treanor is wearing Gelcolor by OPI in Big Apple Red". The fact they are saying an Olympic Gold Medalist wears this nail polish is appealing to others. Within this paragraph Misty May's name, Gelcolor by OPI, and Big Apple Red are all capitalized hoping to draw your eye to the person wearing it, who makes the nail polish, and the color of the nail polish. One slogan they use is "Gelcolor Endures the Speed of Life". This slogan is powerful and appealing due to the fact that this slogan is saying that the nail polish will be long, lasting in your everyday life.
Another element that adds to the overall persuasion of the advertisement is the use of atmosphere or the setting. Misty May is shown playing beach volleyball, diving out into the sand, and it shows her nails painted with Gelcolors nail polish. The nail color is bright red which draws your eyes straight to her nails. The persuasion of having her diving out into the sand is appealing to those who see the ad because the makers of this advertisement are saying this nail color will last for a long time, even if your playing a tough sport.
I believe that this ad exaggerates their nail polish because from personal experience, I have used this nail color while playing volleyball and while my nails stayed perfect for maybe about a week, they did not stay perfect after that. No nail color will stay that perfect especially while playing a sport like beach volleyball. I saw advertisement's like these before I owned the nail polish and of course I went out and bought it due to the persuasion of the advertisements. I now know though that these ads do exaggerate their nail polish based on my personal experience with using it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.