Inner Peace and Human Rights is a speech the Dalai Lama gave after winning a Nobel Prize. this speech was one that not only interested me but spoke to me as well. The Dalai Lama speaks of world peace and how to achieve this. He says that everyone in the world has a responsibility to themselves and the planet to start with how they treat others in their community. The theme is to be responsible and ask yourself weather or not there is anything that you can do to be a better more peaceful individual in your own community "responsibility does not lie with the leaders of our countries or with those who have been appointed or elected to do a particular job. It lies with each one of us individually." he says this to make his audience realize that it has to be an individual effort. They way in which he speaks is convincing and also inspiring.
The thing i took from this reading is basically in the simplest of terms be the best i can be whatever it is. as cliche as that sounds its true. It makes me want to really think about what i say before i say things, how it might affect others i'm talking to, it makes me want to do things to make others feel better about themselves in my own community. this speech made me realize that i, by myself can not change the world and create world peace, but i can be the best person i can be and that sure doesn't hurt the chances of creating a more peaceful planet. The 14th Dalai Lama won this prize because of his efforts to help create a peaceful planet. if anyone were to read this and critically think about it there is no way that they wouldn't want to become a better version of themselves.
He speaks inspiring words, and these words are powerful and creative. He says that "true peace with oneself and with the world around us can only be achieved through the development of mental peace." he speaks f calming your mind and letting yourself be at peace and sit back and ask yourself if all the things your stressed and worried about in your everyday life are really that important. you have life, you have family, you have something that makes you happy and because of this you should let your mind be at peace . When you can do this for yourself you can achieve peace and others will follow you in finding and gaining a peace of mind.

I really like your first quote that says that responsibility lies with each individual. I think to many times that we push responsibility and our faults on others. From reading your response I also want to change my ways and take more responsibility for the things I do.
ReplyDeleteI really share the same feeling with you that this speech spoke out to me. I agree with the Dalai that world peace is a reachable goal and that everyone plays their own part in achieving it. I really like how you took away from the speech the idea of thinking before you speak because you don't know how your words can ultimately affect someone. The quote you used to start the third paragraph is so powerful. It seems like such an easy thing to say but is actually very tough to gain mental peace.
ReplyDeleteI like how you took something very personal out of this speech. I think Dalai Lama truly earned the Nobel Peace Prize because of his efforts to change his community. Also, I agree with you about the quote he offers in regards to the responsibility that "lies with each one of us individually." I definitely believe this as well and personally it makes me rethink my actions and causes me to wonder whether or not there are specific actions I could change in my life.
ReplyDelete